Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Johnnycake

On New Year's Day I felt like making Johnnycake. It was a special treat for my siblings and me while growing up and it would be a good way to start the year.

A little sweeter and more cake like than cornbread, Johnnycake's origin is from Native Americans who taught the Europeans how to cook with cornmeal.
Lots of versions of Johnnycake look like pancakes, but the one I was raised on is more like cornbread. Both still call for butter and maple syrup on top. :)

This was my first time using cornmeal and I bought an organic type. I credit this to making the Johnnycake better than I remembered from when I was a kid. Happy New Year to me indeed! 
Johnnycake (from My Mom's Best Recipes Cookbook)
1 egg
1 C & 2 T milk
1/2 C flour
1 C corn meal
2 T sugar
3 t baking powder
1 t salt

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Generously grease 9 x 9 pan. Heat in oven while mixing batter. Beat egg. Beat all ingredients with rotary beater just until smooth. Pour batter into hot pan. Bake 20 minutes. Serve hot with butter and syrup.
Bake well and prosper!

8 comments:

  1. I've never had this, but I think I'd love it. I love corn bread, and with butter and maple syrup, how can this not be awesome?
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something new for me to try - thanks so much :-}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not fair. I wanted to read about food and YOU sneak in a history lesson. So much for my “don’t learn no new stuff in 2011” resolution…

    Happy New Year!!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really interesting - I gre up on johnny cakes that looked like pancakes. As a kid in RI I loved them, but haven;t had them in years. I'd love to try your cornbread style version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the fact that this cake bring you great memories of New Year days...

    This is new to me...they look really nice with butter and syrup...yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ive not cooked with cornmeal before but it seems almost like a staple in many US households?! they looks divine drenched in syrup and butter! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is snowing here and I can't imagine anything better than chili with this johnnycake on the side :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB