Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lemon Blueberry Cookies

My coworker who loves lemony things JUST came back from maternity leave last week. To celebrate, I made up my own lemony recipe. But more on that later. How adorable are the glasses I photographed these cookies in/on?!!!

When I was visiting my parents in Texas in Feb, my mom and I had a yard sale. Before we could even place the items out for sale there was a bunch of, "Wait! You're getting rid of that?!!! Oh, I'll take it." Well, my mom was getting rid of these cute glasses, so I grabbed them. Besides being gorgeous, it also helps that my new room has a purple color scheme.

Speaking of gorgeous things, the church I sang in last weekend was ornate and magnificent (like my singing). I kid...I kid. About the singing. I mean, I sang fine, but the church REALLY stole the show. I took some photos before the concert. Check St. Jean Baptiste church out:
I always tell tourists to wander into churches while in NYC. It's amazing what a huge, concrete filled jungle can produce.

Back to the production of the cookies. I pretty much took my chocolate chip cookie recipe and added some lemon zest and lemon juice. Mmmmm. They turned out to be quite refreshing and yummy!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 stick of margarine/butter (I used butter from my local farmer's market)
1/2 cup of white sugar
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 egg well beaten
1 cup and 2 Tablespoons of flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (use the real thing....imitation vanilla is a poser!)
Zest from 1 lemon
Half a lemon's worth of lemon juice
1/2 C dried blueberries (Add more to your liking)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix margarine, sugars, and egg together until margarine chunks are quite small and well beaten. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together and then stir until well mixed. Add vanilla and then mix. Add lemon zest and lemon juice and then mix. Then add the blueberries. Place dollops of dough on cookie sheet with plenty of room between each dollop. Bake 8-10 minutes.

Erika's Extra Notes: To get very lovely and soft cookies, take out of oven when they are still fluffy/slightly uncooked looking. They will cook more while cooling. If baking two sheets at once, make sure to switch the top to the bottom and vice-versa half way through baking.
Bake well and prosper!

6 comments:

  1. Boy do I feel stupid. I did the exact same thing with my chocolate chip cookie recipe but I added Lemon Pledge and not lemon zest. This explains both by stomach problems and the dull wood furniture in my living room….

    Nice post!!

    All the best,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the real vanilla extract too. Never like something that is "imitation" ! These cookies are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the purple glasses! They're super cute, although I might be a bit biased since purple's my favorite color. And the fact that they have delicious-looking cookies stacked on top. Now I'm craving some blueberries...

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that shade of purple on the cup! i didnt visit any churches when i went to NYC, well now it will go on my list when i visit next year hopefully!

    these cookies looks soft and crunchy at the same time..hope ur coworker loved them! lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB