Thursday, September 12, 2013

Raw & Gluten Free Honey Bunches of Oats Bars

You know when it's just too hot out to turn on the oven? You know, so hot that you're sweating when you're just standing in your kitchen, let alone moving in your kitchen?  Yeah, well, NYC is going through an end of summer heat wave right now and I just couldn't bear to turn on the oven. (Sometimes I do, mind you...but I just couldn't do it this time seeing the weather's been so nice recently.) (Oh, and no, I don't have an AC unit in my kitchen.)
 
So, I decided to use my new 12 cup food processor and make almond butter for the first time. After I made that, I decided to see what kind of bar I could make with some of the almond butter. 
 
Sometimes making up your own recipe creates an incredibly scrumptious, "hit-the spot" dessert. This one contains a strong honey flavor while also packing in protein awesomeness with the almonds. I highly suggest that you, too, go have some fun in your kitchen by making up your own recipes (if you haven't already...) Just make sure to stay cool when you do!
Raw & Gluten Free Honey Bunches of Oats Bars
           (an Erika Beth, the Messy Chef recipe)
3/4 C Almond Butter
4 Medjool dates, finely chopped with a knife or ground down in a food processor
1/2 C+ gluten free rolled oats (I used Bob's Red Mill Brand)
1 Tablespoon+ honey
 
Mix almond butter and chopped dates in a bowl. Once well combined, add oats. Mix until well combined. Feel free to add more oats until texture is to your liking. Once well combined, stir in the honey. Add more honey to liking. When completely combined, mixture should stick together and be close to a ball shape. Grab some of the dough and make it into a bar shape. Place in container or on a plate and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight. Serve slightly chilled.
Bake well and prosper!

4 comments:

  1. What a super healthy snack...some of my fav ingredients in a bar! This post is reminding me to buy a new food processor so I can make almond butter too :)

    Just saw your Toulouse post! YOu went back again :) Must've been awesome to sing in such a grand majestic church!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These bars look so tasty. I know they would go down awesome with a cup of tea. I know they are healthy, but with all those delicious ingredients, I think it would feel like a treat, not a health food.
    *Kisses* Heavenly
    p.s. so lucky that you are still having hot weather, here in london all it does is rain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB